Nutritionists keep coming up with some amazing facts every now and then! Different foods have different qualities. Some foods give you energy while some others give you pounds. Some stimulate your senses while others help you improve your digestion or memory. But did you ever know that there are some foods that can kill your intelligence? Astonishing it may sound, but it is true. So, maybe you as the parents are to be blamed for your child low grades! Wondering what are those food items? Reports have proved that the following foods kill your power to make intelligent decisions:
- Sugar products: Till now you believed that having lots of sugary products are bad for your waistline or blood glucose level. But there is another effect of sugar that was still unknown to you. Long-term consumption of sugar hampers your brain functions and declines your memory power.
- Junk food: Junk food is considered to be bad for health as it is high in fat content and has almost no nutritional value. A study conducted at the University of Montreal has proved that junk food has the ability to change the chemical combinations in the brain and lead to anxiety. This is because of the fact that too much fat affects the production of the wellbeing and happiness hormone-dopamine.
- Fried foods: even though the effect of fried food depends upon the oil in which they are processed, there is no doubt to the fact that they are harmful to the body. They destroy nerve cells and can cause hyperactivity in not only children but in adults as well.
- Pre-cooked food: There has been a link between excessive consumption of processed food and Alzheimer’s disease. The processed foods contain substances that impact the working of the central nervous system of the body.
- Excessive salt intake: Salty food is known to have an adverse effect on your blood pressure level. According to several types of research, salty food has an effect on your ability to think too. This is because the effects of excessive salt are similar to the effect of nicotine and several drugs. Cut down your salt intake even if you find yourself craving for salty food.
- Any grain except whole grains: Whole grains are rich in fiber and thus promote a number of health functions in the body. Regular grains can increase the aging of your body and decay your memory. Try exchanging your daily carbohydrates with a bowl of complex carbohydrates.
- Processed Proteins: Proteins is one of the building blocks of our body and is thus very important for the overall functioning of the body. Animal sources are just the perfect source of proteins for humans. What you need to avoid are proteins that are overly processed. This includes sausages, hot dogs, and similar food items. While natural proteins insulate your nervous system, processed protein has just the opposite effect. Substitute such proteins with natural proteins such as tuna, nuts, and dairy products.
- Trans fats: Fats are believed to be bad for your heart. What you don’t know is Trans fats can be as bad for your brain too. It changes the working pattern of the brain by hampering reflexes and makes it sluggish. Excessive Trans fats also put you at the risk of a brain stroke. Apart from this, a brain shrinkage that is similar to one that happens in Alzheimer’s disease has also been seen.
- Artificial sweeteners: Replacing natural sugar with artificial sweeteners is a regular practice among those who are trying to lose weight. While this is true as artificial sweeteners do contain fewer calories than them, the fact that they are bad for your brain is also true. Try to limit the number of artificial sweeteners in your diet.
Now that you know what not to eat, you just want to know then what food items contribute to intelligence. Research shows that fish oil makes you smarter as Omega-3 is essential for the healthy functioning of the brain. Make sure you have an adequate amount of Vitamin E as it is rich in anti-oxidants. Also include tomatoes, broccoli, and nuts to boost your memory and intelligence. For long blueberries are known to fortify both your brain and body. Also take flax seeds as it is a rich source of ALA, known to promote brain functioning. How can eggs be missing from this list? Eggs provide choline and make up for the large portion of the brain.